Nine-Patch Variation Block November 2009

The Long and Short of It

In 2003, Make It Simpler® Paper Piecing was recorded for Simply Quilts.
[As of June 2011, the video is embedded at conclusion of this post]
Since then I've been assembling Nine-patch Variation blocks as demonstrated during the show.  Six years later, they are the departure point for this evolving Blog.
I first encountered the Nine-patch Variation as a BOM (Block of the Month) in the early '90s at the Empire Quilters guild in New York. The center squares, in red, were not split. I sewed 4 blocks, dark edges together in a side by side arrangement, forming a Sunshine and Shadow layout.
I date this piece circa 1993 by looking at it's back. I no longer press seams to the sides as shown above. I found that I prefer seams pressed open.
A few 'Split' Nine-patch Variation quilts are documented in
  New Jersey Quilts  1777 to 1950

As an ongoing diversion and reward to myself, I've pieced 140 blocks to date, each 6-1/2" unfinished, on Simple Foundations translucent vellum
My foundation pattern, that accompanies the 2003 Simply Quilts video may be downloaded here

Directions
The pattern with step-by-step directions appeared in each of my first two books  Know that the   authentic version of Make It Simpler Paper Piecing is 9 x 11 inches, not 8 ½ x 11 inches)  Altogether over 100 block foundation patterns between both books. [Note in 2012 both books went out-of-print]
 Additional video tutorials




0 comments: